On Monday 14th October 2019, our staff were trained in LGBT+ Awareness by the amazing Rosie from Yorkshire Mesmac, one of the oldest and largest sexual health organisations in the country.
We learned a lot from the three and a half hour session, including:
– correct terminology for sexual identities, including pronoun usage
– common stereotypes and misconceptions about LGBT+ people
– a brief history of British queer culture and the legislation surrounding sexuality
– heteronormativity, cisnormativity & intersectionality
– what we can do to actively accommodate the LGBT+ community and, in turn, make Wire a safer space
If you or your friends identify as LGBT+, please know that our staff are now aware of the barriers you face when entering certain public spaces and are better equipped to make you feel welcome here 🌈